Antenna Design and Integration with Ansys HFSS
Why is Ansys high-frequency simulation software critical for understanding Antenna Performance and Antenna Placement?
Fundamentally, the current trend of miniaturization presents an additional set of challenges when creating or supporting innovative wireless designs. In addition, with increasing application areas and environments that now incorporate antennas, antenna design is dependent on optimization. The solution, Ansys High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS).
What is Ansys HFSS?
Ansys High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) is a general-purpose full-wave 3D electromagnetic (EM) simulation software for simulating and optimizing high-frequency electronics products like antennas, antenna arrays, high-speed interconnects, and printed circuit boards to name a few. Using Ansys HFSS allows engineers to accurately evaluate the performance of complex designs before the prototype phase. Many antenna design application calculations cannot be done by hand, making this high-frequency software extremely valuable for the end-user.
Antenna Simulation Solvers within the HFSS Suite:
Hybrid Solver: This hybrid solver within the HFSS Suite enables users to have the accuracy of an FEM solver in conjunction with the speed of an IE/SBR+ solver. Critically, this ensures efficient simulation for large and/or complex electrical problems.
Integral Equations (IE): This technique is used when trying to efficiently solve open radiation and scattering problems.
Shooting and Bouncing Rays (SBR) Solver: This application analyzes the antenna placement scenarios on electrically huge platforms (on the order of 100s to 1000s of electrical wavelengths in size).
FEM Transient: This solver incorporates HFSS’ adaptive meshing and analyzes the transient applications for projects that involve ground penetrating radar (GPR) and time domain reflectometry (TDR).
Additional Ansys HFSS Capabilities:
Additionally, Ansys HFSS capabilities provide you with the tools to meet your design specifications for your unique project. Some expanded capabilities include (but are not limited to):
- Simple to complex problem solvers
- Elevation Data to serve as a metric for comparison across all solvers which can be overlaid on the problem before solving
- Additional encryption of the 3D creation component from the designed antenna
- Third-part tool integration with Ansys HFSS
- Near and Far-field sources available
- Various solution setups and variables to help solve your specific problem
- Mesh Operations that can be defined within the simulation
- Multiple material options
- Seamless Maxwell Design and Integration with Ansys HFSS
- Antenna design and integration toolkit within the ACT extension options within the software
For more, click here to view the recording of our webinar on “How to Optimize Antenna Design Using Ansys HFSS”.
This webinar features is a comprehensive overview of all Ansys High-Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) design optimization capabilities.
For antenna placement and Co-Site, automatic adaptive meshing, and EMI/Co-Site Interference, click HERE.